All posts by the Eureka!

Board meeting minutes (2012.08.11)

Board meeting minutes for the Aug 11, 2012 board meeting are here. A prettier, formatted pdf version is also available for download at the bottom of the full story.

Executive Board Meeting
Wednesday August 8, 2012

Present –Alan, Rob, Judy, Tim, Mary Edna, Diane, Aaron, Josh, Dan, Steve Clark-Hall
Absent – Gary, Patrick
Call to order @ 7:05PM

Treasurer’s Report
Gary is absent. Item tabled.

September Membership Meeting Speakers/Topics
Speakers suggested:
Someone from the Castro Street Fair – Rob to contact
Supervisor Weiner – Alan to contact
City Legal Office re: Prop 8 – Josh to contact
DPW re: major projects in the neighborhood like the water line replacement – Rob to contact
Brainstorm ideas to increase meeting attendance. Ideas and suggestions include:
We agreed to rename the meetings from “Membership Meetings” to “Public Meeting”
Josh will design/execute a reminder email blast to members and any email we have to be sent a week before the meeting and the morning of the meeting. “Message to be simple. Something like “Public Meeting Wednesday September 19th at 7:00-8:30 B of A Community Room” perhaps some of the topics and/or speakers to be included
Dan will research/produce an EVNA Facebook and Twitter account. We can use these avenues for reminders and forums
ALL Board members are requested to bring three neighbors to the next meeting

September/October Newsletter
Articles for the next Newsletter
Castro Street Fair - Rob
Neighbors Faves – Dianne
Friends of the Urban Forest - Aaron
SF Open Studios - Rob
Eureka Valley History – Dan (assist from Rob)
Planning - Steven
Prop 8 - Josh
Golds Gym – Dan
Timeline:
Articles due to Dan by 8/30
Dan sends collected articles to Judy/Mary Edna by 9/1
Judy/Mary Edna send edited work back to Dan by 9/7
Dan sends collected work to Rob 9/10 for layout
1st draft sent to Alan/Judy/Mary Edna by 9/14
any corrections/alterations back to Rob ASAP and final draft finished by 9/16
Newsletter to printer 9/17
Distribution 9/21

Nakedness in the Castro
A long discussion ensued regarding whether or not EVNA had an opinion or stance regarding the Naked Guys (Naked People) that seem to have increased in numbers and frequency in the neighborhood. The Board is really divided as to whether or not they like/dislike this development. It is somewhat clear that California law allows this behavior. Individuals can complain to SFPD and file a complaint on a case by case basis. In the end EVNA took no official position but felt that the conversation may continue and that if the Naked Guys begin to impact businesses then MUMC might take on this issue. For now…

Castro Street Fair
Rob has asked each Board Member to commit at least two hours on the day of the Fair and that each Board Member recruit at least two other people to volunteer at least two hours. Rob will send out a schedule to sign people up.

Committee Reports
Castro Theater Gate
The new parking lot gate seems to be doing its job. Reports are that the partiers have moved the late night revelry up to the parking lot behind the Pottery Barn.
Trigger is closed and someone has purchased the liquor license
Planning Issues
Judy updated the 376 Castro Project
Technology
Josh is back – welcome back Josh – and will review several pressing issues (see item 2). Steve suggested an off-site to brainstorm website issues. It was agreed that this would be a good idea

New Business
Freedom from Tobacco is looking for our support of their proposal to SFDPH regaring smoking in outside patios (see July/August Newsletter). A motion that “EVNA support the current law regarding smoking in bars and patios”. The motion did not pass. The next motion was that EVNA would take no position. This motion passed unanimously.
New Board members: it was pointed out that all the new Board members were elected in the past year. In order to stagger the terms Alan suggested that all new Board members elected last November resign and be re-elected this November. This will stagger the terms with the older Board members so that there is overlap.

Adjournment @ 8:40PM

Respectfully submitted,

Rob Cox
Recording Secretary

Membership meeting minutes (2011.11.09)

Membership meeting minutes for Nov 9, 2011 are here. A prettier, formatted pdf version is also available for download at the bottom of the full story.

EVNA
Minutes from the General Meeting
November 9, 2011 7:05 p.m.

Board Members attending:

Alan Beach-Nelson
Rob Cox
Gary Weiss
Judy Hoyem

Welcome and Introductions

Guest Speakers and Presenters

SF Environment
Friday Apaliski, Outreach Coordinator for SF Environment presented information and material for residents and businesses about obtaining grant funding to do upgrades on their buildings.

Information attached.

Proposed Changes in Historic Preservation

Mike Buhler from SF Architectural Heritage group presented information about Supervisor Scott Weiner’s proposal to change the rules regarding historic preservation throughout San Francisco.

Mike highlighted four issues that particularly concern the SF Heritage group and why they oppose the changes:

Only eleven Historic Districts have been established in 45 years. And Supervisor Weiner’s proposal would now require a majority of property owners in any area to establish an Historic district.
Community/neighborhoods groups will not have an official vote when establishing Districts
There is a blanket prohibition on features not visible from the public right away
The proposal would establish specific San Francisco standards which the State of California needs to approve

The attached memo to the San Francisco Planning Commission outlines in full detail the opposition of the SF Architectural Heritage group.

2012-13 Officer and Board Election

Nominated as EVNA President, Alan Beach-Nelson
Nominated as EVNA Secretary, Rob Cox
Nominated as Treasurer, Gary Weiss

A motion to approve by acclamation was made by Judy Hoyem and approved by the membership.

Nominated to the Board of Directors were the following:

Laura Castellanos, Patrick Crogan, Mary Enda Harrell, Time Eicher, Judith Hoyem, Dan Risman, Dennis Richards, Aaron Seivertson, Josh Bleecher Snyder, Diane Termini

a motion to approve by acclamation was made by Rob Cox and approved by the membership.

2012-13 Priorities

Tabled until the December Board Meeting

New business

A meeting to discuss the redistricting of the San Francisco neighborhoods will take place on November 19th at 10:00 am at the Tenderloin Community School. A redistricting should not greatly affect District Eight.

A note on low attendance at the meeting: the newsletter went out late. The general meeting was held early because of the Thanksgiving Holiday.

The vote to change the by-laws to allow Board Members and Officers to serve a longer was approved.

Meeting adjourned 8:25

Attachments:
SF Environment Handouts
San Francisco Architectural Heritage Memo

Trader Joe's Walks Away From Discussions

On March 7, Trader Joe’s informed Supervisor Wiener that they were withdrawing their plans to open in the Tower Records site. The news was disappointing to me and many others. Hundreds of hours were spent by our sister organization, Duboce Triangle Neighborhood Association, to boil down the facts and details of the project. When concerns about the impacts of the project were raised, and suggestions made to ensure that this TJ’s was reflective of the neighborhood, TJs rebuffed those overtures.

Trader Joe’s wanted to force their, suburban, car-centric model onto our urban village without compromise, refusing to adapt their FORMULA to our community and what is best for the entire neighborhood. It was their decision not to work with the neighborhood. That is regrettable, but it was their right.

I encourage you to be involved in the neighborhood, and to have a voice in shaping the
neighborhood. The best way to do so is to join EVNA at http://evna.org/join

Central Subway

A Visionary Plan or a Wasteful Boondoggle? The Central Subway is a $1.58 billion project of Muni for an underground extension of the T-line to connect CalTrans with Chinatown via a 1.7 mile subway under 4th and Stockton Streets with stations at Townsend (CALTrans), Brannan, and Howard (Moscone Center) on 4th; and on Stockton at Geary (Union Square) and Sacramento (Chinatown) at the end of the line. This is an approved project but funding is not yet secured. Come to the Membership meeting on March 23rd to learn more.