Street Noise

The neighborhood is being besieged nearly 20 hours a day by motorcycles, cars and taxicabs with missing, modified or broken mufflers. This is in addition to cars blasting music with thundering bass.

Most of this activity occurs after dark but is by no means limited to it. A lot of this is just plain cruising the neighborhood with many of these vehicles passing by the same point multiple times in just an hour.

My first question is where are the police? To the naked eye there is not much police presence in the Castro. Except for an occasional drive through (usually with the windows up). I know the police have better things to do than cite people for noisy vehicles but this noise problem is driving down the quality of life in the Castro dramatically.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Agenda, EVNA Board meeting, February 10, 2010

Castro/EVNA Board Meeting
February 10, 2010; 7PM - 8:30
Agenda
Who Time
• Budget: establishing 2010 Budget Demian 7:00

• Mission Statement review/discussion Gary/Alan/Judy 7:10

• Newsletter discussion/timeline Alan/Committee 7:20
o Size/scope
o Content
o Budget
o Castro Courier ad

• Report and discussion of groups EVNA belongs and reps All 7:40
o Upper Market Alliance, UMA Judy & Demian
o Coalition for San Francisco Neighborhoods, CSFN Demian
(Save Muni Summit 3/6, 9-1, Women’s Building, 3543 18th)
o San Francisco Housing Action Coalition
o Others?

• Committee Reports 7:50
o Planning (Judy, Alan, Brian, Gary, Jack, Steve) Judy
o Pink Triangle Foundation (Justin, Jack, Diane, EVNA EC) Alan

• Next steps on Priority Committees and Chairs Alan/All 8:00
o Visibility/Membership (Rob, Wendy, Demian, Judy)
o Technology (Steve, Tim, Dennis, Thanos)
o Quality of Life (Rob, Dennis, Tim, Judy, Alan, Aaron

• Update on action Items 8:15
o Bylaws update and posting of SoS filing link Steve
o Secretary of State filing Rob
o Name change with City/Planning filing Judy
o Joint Supervisor Candidate presentation 9/15/10 Dennis/Gary/Alan
o Posting Membership meeting calendar w/BAR Rob
o Bank account signature cards Alan/Rob/Jack

• Adjourn All 8:30

EVNA Membership Meeting Minutes Janaury 20, 2010

EVNA
Minutes from the Membership Meeting
January 20, 2010, 7:30 p.m.

1) Welcome and Introductions
Introductions were made around the table at the first EVNA general Membership meeting of 2010 with new president Alan Beach-Nelson presiding. A special thanks to Chase Bank for making the new meeting space available.

2) Approval of Minutes

There were no minutes from the last meeting to approve.

Alan gave a brief overview of recent EVNA changes and activities.

• The bylaws were changed to increase the number of board members
• New officers were elected
• The name was changed from Eureka Valley Promotion Association (EVPA) to Castro/Eureka Valley Neighborhood Association (Castro/EVNA or EVNA). The legal name of the organization remains Eureka Valley Promotion Association (EVPA).

Richard M felt the name change was never vetted properly and question why the meetings were now at the Chase Bank and not the EVRC. Judy explained that EVRC is now charging for the use of the facility. Alan reviewed the name change process and that it was voted on by the members and was discussed and announced in the EVNA Newsletter.

2) Officer Reports

Treasurers
As of this date EVNA has a balance of $8,508.00

The PTPM Foundation has a balance of $1,493.00

Budgets are being developed for the Foundation.

Planning
Market/Dolores Neighborhood Assoc has had/is having input on the development for the corner of Dolores @ Market (S&C Ford bldg)

There is not yet any new information on the plans for a building on the corner of Noe & 16th

Golds Gym @ Market and Noe has proposed an expansion of the lot and wants to add additional stories. Expanding the building to five stories seems problematic and out of scale with the surrounding structures

There are plans under way for the space occupied by “Arco” station at Market & Castro

Trader Joe’s is still looking to occupy the former Tower Records space on Market Street

There are smaller, residential projects in the works, one at Market & Ord which has 7 lots, 4 have setbacks and one owner wants to build in the setback which would alter the character of the neighborhood

The Planning Committee meets on the first Wednesday of the month, 7PM @ Judy’s home

UMA (Upper Market Alliance)
Composed of nine civic groups, meets monthly to share information meets on the 4th Tuesday of the month at the Chase Bank space

CSFN
Nothing to report

2) Priorities & Goals

EVNA wants to identify goals and mission for the upcoming year. A brainstorming discussion floated the following initiatives for EVNA committees to focus on this year. Some of these initiatives will require the work of two or more committees. The committees were assigned to work on the following initiatives

Planning:
Committee members: Judy Hoyem, Steve Hall, Jack Keating, Alan Beach-Nelson, Gary Weiss, Brian Kendall
Support historic preservation of the Castro/Eureka Valley neighborhood

Visibility/Membership
Committee Members: Rob, Wendy, Demian, Judy
Build attendance for the general membership meetings
Neighborhood Information Kiosk
Recruit volunteers for the Castro Street Fair

Technology
Committee Members: Steve, Tim, Dennis, Thanos
User’s guide/training for committee
Website updates
Neighborhood Information Kiosk
WiFi info site at the 17th Street Plaza

Quality of Life
Committee Members: Rob, Dennis, Tim, Judy, Alan, Aaron
Foster a better relationship with the neighbors and the late night establishments (Castro After Dark)
Ad Hoc issues

Newsletter
Committee Members:
Alan, editor; Rob, designer; Judy, copy editor; Demian, distribution. Wendy and Diane volunteered to assist with distribution.

Pink Triangle Foundation
Committee members: Jack Keating, Justin, Diane Nutting, EVNA Executive Committee

3) New Business

Gary needs a briefing re: the city survey of historic/cultural/architectural significance report to create a Context Statement. The mayor’s office currently has funding for mission statement proposals for a Castro area Context Statement. The Corbett Heights Neighborhood Association (CHNA) currently has a mission statement. CHNA meets 1/28 @ 7:30

A motion was passed to standardize all EVNA meeting times at 7:00 p.m.

Meeting adjourned 8:40

Minutes of EVNA Board Meeting, January 13, 2010

EVNA
Minutes from the Executive Board Meeting
January 13, 2010

Attending: Alan Beach-Nelson, Rob Cox, Demian Quesnel, Tim Eicher, Steve Clark Hall, Judy Hoyem, Jack Keating, Dennis Richards, Gary Weiss

1) Introductions
Introductions were made around the table at the first EVNA meeting of 2010 with new president Alan Beach-Nelson presiding.

2) Discussion of EVNA Mission
We discussed what our mission is/should be and decided to take a fresh look at EVNA as an organization with the purpose of keeping our mission relevant.

Gary and Alan will craft a relevant mission statement that clarifies the organization’s purpose in keeping with the articles of incorporation for the February Board Meeting.

This will also help us to be clear about what issues EVNA should and should not get involved with in the neighborhood.

3) Protocol Systems
Alan will set up an email protocol to help manage the flow of email within the EVNA.

Judy will file the new name, EVNA, with city hall.

Spending guidelines were agreed on: Board President can spend $300 without approval not to exceed $1,000/month; any expenditure over $300 but below $500 needs approval by two additional Executive Committee members; Expenditures exceeding $500 need board approval.

Executive Board members who miss a meeting must bring themselves current by reading the minutes of that meeting so that the Board won’t have to spend time going over the same ground at the next meeting.

EVNA should standardize our answers for “taking positions” as a membership organization in keeping with our articles of incorporation.

4) Treasurers Report
As of this date EVNA has a balance of $8,508.00

The PTPM Foundation has a balance of $1,493.00

Alan is updating the account signature cards. Current authorized signers are Alan Beach-Nelson and Rob Cox.

Proposed: a separate meeting for the PTPM Foundation. Start with an organizational meeting (Demian to take lead?) Alan will assign.

5) Brainstorming
Alan sought ideas for EVNA to focus on in 2010. The following ideas were discussed.

• Fostering a better relationship between the residents and the late night establishments
• Quality of life issues, ie; neighborhood character, ad hoc issues as they arise
• WiFi info site
• Sponsor a neighborhood information kiosk, perhaps at the 17th street plaza
• Support historic preservation in the Castro/Eureka Valley; create a context statement in this regard.
• Build the visibility and awareness re: EVNA, build membership.
• Clarify and develop the relationship with MUMC
• Develop a “formula retail” statement

6) New Committees
Technology and web development: Tim, Steve, Demian.
Castro After Dark – Dennis Richards, Rob Cox, Tim Eicher, Judy Hoyem
Newsletter: Alan, editor; Rob, designer; Judy, copy editor; Demian, distribution. Recruit more help from membership, ie marketing, distribution, etc.

7) Operations
Alan to give Rob his get key to PO box and will check periodically
Demian or Rob update ownership names on PO Box
Steve will send Rob/Alan the link for the Secretary of State filing of leadership change in EVNA and add this information to the Operations section of the web site.
Alan to send Steve who then will update the changes to be made in the by laws

8) Report from Reps
UMA – review and strengthen relationships. Invite other organizations in to the general membership meetings to present and inform. Alan will invite LYRIC to the next general meeting.

Have input on and monitor projects such as the development of the 17th street plaza and Trader Joes coming into the Castro.

Evaluate our relationship with CSFN. Demian to attend next CSFN meeting.

9) New Business
March meeting the Board will vet its memberships with other organizations (MUMC; CSFN, etc)

Alan, Dennis and Gary to explore partnership between EVNA, DTNA, CHNA to begin to schedule Board of Supervisor candidates to speak, perhaps at our September 15, 2010 membership meeting @ EVRC.

Post membership meetings notices in the BAR calendar– Rob; Alan submitted already to Castro Courier.

Minutes of the March 19, 2009, EVPA membership meeting

The president called the meeting to order at 7:30. Attendees introduced themselves.

Ken Stram of the LGBT Center and Kirsten, a commercial leasing agent, spoke about economic development in the Castro, how to address the vacancies in the neighborhood, and how to attract new businesses and help existing businesses. They spoke about the business attraction program (partnership of the Center, the CBD, and MUMC). Gustavo Serina suggested that the board consider supporting the program financially. The membership engaged in a discussion of various issues relating to business attraction and economic development generally.

Supervisor Dufty and DPW director Ed Reiskin presented on the proposed temporary/experimental closure of 17th St. between Market and Hartford. If the closure works well and is a success, it may become permanent. It likely will be put into effect in late April or early May. The membership was extremely supportive and, on motion and second, voted overwhelmingly to support the project.

The president informed the membership that the board recommended that EVPA join the Housing Action Coalition (HAC). After a discussion, on motion and second the membership voted to join HAC.

The president announced that that National Parks Council will hold a neighborhood parks forum and discussion at Davies Medical Center on Thursday 3/26 from 6-8.

Andrea Aiello from the Castro/Upper Market CBD spoke about the Clean Team neighborhood clean-up day on 4/18, 9-noon, starting at Harvey Milk Plaza. EVPA is a co-sponsor. Scott Wiener, Demien Quesnel, and Diane Nutting volunteered to help.

After several additional announcements, the president adjourned the meeting at 9:00 p.m.

Homeless Forum March 10th at Eureka Valley Recreation Center, 7pm

New ideas for solving the Castro District's homelessness dynamic need to come from residents, merchants, and homeless; mutually exchanging experiences and insights. Under the auspices of CATCH (Creating Alternatives To Castro Homelessness) and the sponsorship of EVPA and DTNA, there has been organized a public educational panel on Castro District homelessness. This public discussion is an opportunity for all stakeholders in the Castro homelessness issue to hear from social workers, police officers, and homeless representatives. It will also be an opportunity for residents to discuss their concerns in a non-confrontational setting. The forum will take place at the Eureka Valley Recreation Center (located at 18th Street & Collingwood) on March 10 at 6pm.
The forum will focus on homeless resources and queer homeless youths' access to same. What resources have been effective in aiding queer homeless youth? What unique problems hinder queer homeless youths' ability to use certain resources? What can be done when no resource is available? Panellists will include homeless or formerly homeless queer youth, a Department of Public Health's homeless program representative, a Larkin Street Services representative, a representative of the LGBT Center's youth program, a specialist in dealing with street-level disrespectful/disruptive behavior, and a representative of the Haight Youth drop-in center program. The format will be ½ devoted to the panelists presenting information and the other ½ to the panelists answering questions from the audience.

Farmer’s Market coming to the Upper Market/Castro

It looks like it is going to happen. The negotiations are almost complete, the contracts to be signed soon. The Pacific Coast Farmers Market Association [http://www.pcfma.com] is organizing a farmers market that will be on Wednesdays on Noe Street from Market to Beaver street in front of Café Flore. They will present to ISCOTT [the organization that co-ordinates street closures in the City] soon, and the plan is for evenings from 4pm to 8pm. The intent is to have 25 to 30 booths, ranging from produce to bakery items, flowers, specialty foods and possibly even fresh sorbet [made from seasonal fruits] and meats. The market will include a community booth that will be for local non-profit and neighborhood groups and a merchants booth that will allow local merchants to present themselves. We will present any further information as it becomes available. We all should thank J.D. Petras for being the point person in helping make this happen and the Upper Market Alliance [an informational alliance of community groups in the Upper Market] for supporting this effort. We all look forward to this local farmers market.

Minutes of the November 20, 2008, EVPA membership meeting

The President called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m.

The September minutes were approved on motion and second.

The President provided the treasurer's report, since the treasurer was unable to attend the meeting.

Representatives from Whole Foods presented their plans for development of the S&C Ford site into a Whole Foods and adjoining housing. The representatives presented various schematics of the project. EVPA members asked questions, and a discussion was held. No action was taken on the project.

The Planning Committee presented its report, including an update on the Planning Department's discretionary review reform project, the possibility of having a universal planning notice, the status of the Housing Element, and various neighborhood projects.

The nominating committee presented its proposed slate of officers for 2009:
President: Scott Wiener
Treasurer: Demien Quesnel
Secretary: Alan Beach-Nelson
Members at Large: Dennis Richards, Gary Weiss
Upper Market Alliance Rep: Judy Hoyem
Coalition of San Francisco Neighborhoods Rep: Demien Quesnel

On motion and second, the membership unanimously elected the proposed slate.

Scott Wiener, incoming president, discussed various ideas for 2009, including more active committees, a focus on public spaces, and forums during membership meetings.
The meeting adjourned at 9 p.m. The next meeting (and all 2009 membership meetings) will be held at the Castro Community Room, 501 Castro St.)

Minutes of the October 16, 2008, EVPA board meeting

President Steve Hall called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. In attendance were Steve Hall, Scott Wiener, Alan Beach-Nelson, Demian Quesnel, Judy Hoyem, and Richard.

Alan reported that EVPA has approximately $2,000 in the foundation account and $9,534 in the operating account. The budget is not yet ready.

Steve reported that we have 2 new members. Steve also reported on the status of the website and the implementation of new bylaws.

The Upper Market Alliance meeting is next Tuesday October 21. On motion and second, the board appointed Steve Hall as the authorized substitute for Judy Hoyem for the remainder of 2008.

Steve reported that EVPA received $360 from the Castro Street Fair, based on EVPA's volunteer hours worked.

The board discussed elections for the 2009 board. The board discussed the need to recruit new leaders to the organization and discussed a number of potential candidates. The board also discuss who would be a good fit for which positions. Steve will convene the internal affairs committee to formulate a proposed board slate, and the membership will vote at the November 20, 2008, meeting.

Demian reported on the activities of the Coalition of San Francisco Neighborhoods, on which he serves as EVPA's designated representative.

Working to Improve Life in Eureka Valley Since 1881